For illustration purposes.
A 36-year-old private tour guide has been arrested and charged with culpable homicide and reckless handling of a firearm following the accidental shooting death of a Canadian tourist during a bush braai held inside the Kruger National Park (KNP) on Wednesday, June 17.
According to Mpumalanga police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo, the victim was at a concession-operated braai picnic site near Phabeni Gate inside the park when he was allegedly shot accidentally by the concession operator.
“It is alleged that the 69-year-old male tourist approached the concession operator, who was holding a rifle, and asked whether it was a real firearm. While the operator was demonstrating that it was a real rifle, the firearm reportedly discharged. The bullet struck the tourist in the upper body. He was unfortunately certified dead at the scene,” said Masondo.
Masondo added that the suspect remains in police custody and is expected to appear in the Mkhuhlu Magistrate’s Court.
The name of the deceased has not yet been released as his family and next of kin have not yet been formally identified and notified.
The tourist was with his wife at the time of the incident. The couple and other Canadian tourists were in South Africa on a 21-days tour and had been booked into a hotel in the Hazyview area for three days before they move to another area.
SANParks spokesperson JP Louw said that although the tourist was visiting the park with a private tour guide, SANParks would provide assistance where necessary. He also said the tour guide in question is allowed to carry a gun inside the park.
“We are deeply shocked by this incident and our thoughts are with the family and loved ones of the deceased. We will allow the police to conduct their investigation and will cooperate fully where required,” said Louw.
